Friday, May. 18, 2012
Harrisonville discusses facility improvements
By Ellen Parson
Harrisonville Board of Education members board approved several action items related to the upcoming 2012-13 school year at their May 15 meeting.
Topping the list of proposed recommendations passed by the school board were bids for facility improvements at the high school and middle school buildings. The group voted to accept a bid from Mr. David’s Flooring in the amount of $20,988 for installation of a new epoxy floor in the Harrisonville High School kitchen.
Also to be completed at the high school, Lankford Enterprises will be refinishing/painting the main gym floor (including painting of a new mascot and lining floors) for a total cost of $19,900. At the middle school, board members approved a roof restoration project for $44,967 to cover installation work completed by Kirberg Company. Not included in this bid are material costs, which will be purchased directly by the district through a different vendor.
On the personnel front, the BOE voted to accept recommendations from the administrative team on the following salary schedules for the 2012-13 school year:
• No change to the certified salary schedule. Certified personnel will be given a one-step vertical advancement as well as horizontal movement on the salary schedule if they have completed additional coursework.
• No change to the degreed, non-teaching salary schedule (includes one-step vertical advancement).
• No changes to the substitute teacher pay schedule.
• On the other instructional pay schedule, the board approved an increase for Adult Education hourly rates. According to the administrative team, this is necessary in order to stay competitive with other school districts that offer community education training and recruit/retain qualified teachers.
• Approval of the coaching salary schedule with horizontal advancement where applicable.
• No changes to the extra-duty pay schedule.
• No changes to the food service, focus facilitator/paraprofessional/aide, or maintenance/custodial salary schedules (includes one-step vertical advancement).
• Approval of the clerical/technology/business office salary schedule as presented as well as a part-time VRE Aide at Cass Career Center.