Friday, Nov. 16, 2012
Nov. 16 Community News & Notes
By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne board meeting was Nov. 12 with Jackie Groblebe, Connie Kudron, Howard Raffurty, Max Schmoll, Cyndi Ramage, and John and Mischaele Bearce attending. The Christmas dinner was planned along with helping the East Lynne School taking up donations of canned goods, scarves, gloves, coats, etc., that is slightly used or brand new. There were three calls for the week, one medical, a tree fire and a mutual aid call. This week will be Medical training.
• East Lynne School had trunk-or- treat in the school parking lot with a lot of the community participating in this fun event.
• There will be school Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 19 and 20, then there will no school due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
• First Quarter Honor Roll, Principal 3.5-4.8 are listed as follows: eighth grade, Selena Cearley, Jared Crews, Vivian Hartzler, Paige Johnson, Janalynn Osborne, Andrea Pinaire, Ashleigh Rushly, Colton Scott, Colton Slayden, Julia Yoder. Seventh grade: Jon Cearley, Hailey Mahoney, Chryslin Martin, Jessica Shaw, Kelly Shea, Trey Stone, Hannah Wilson and Ryan Wilson, sixth grade: Tyler Clifton, Sam East¸ Hannah Kreimeyer, Savannah Miller, Hannah Parmeter, Paige Zieman.
• Regular Honor Roll- 3.0 to 3.4999 are as follows: eighth grade, Breanna Curtis, Bailey DeHues, Miranda Ferguson, Kelsey Helm, Nathan Kreimeyer, Melanie Riggs, Amanda Rushly, Kylie Torrence, Austin Wheeler. Seventh grade- Brooklyn Airrington, Rylee DeHues, Bailey Miller, Alyssa Whistle and Hannah Whitehead. Sixth grade: Tanner Cotterman, Collin Feagley, Brandon Lane, Tara Mefford, Micheala MaGuffee, Jack Stone, Kenady Taylor and Ethan Worsley. 5th grade: Samantha Cahill¸ Nick Ellis, Matthew Hasenyager, Clint Howser.
By Nina Kemper
• There will be a Thanksgiving Party from 10 to 11 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 18, at Freeman Baptist Church for children ages 5-12. Children will enjoy Thanksgiving games, snacks, songs, prizes and the lesson, How the Dyaks Learned to Give, which tells the true story of Dr. and Mrs. Mouw (pronounced like cow), the first Christian missionaries to Indonesia. Parents are always welcome. For more information, contact Darlene at 816-250-2186.
• The Community Thanksgiving Service will be at 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18, at Freeman Presbyterian Church. All churches will have a part. Refreshments will be served following the service.
• The Walmart Retirees will meet at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov 20, at Diamond Rays. If you retired from Walmart or were a long-time associate, please join this group.
• I understand the Veterans Day program at Cass Midway on Nov. 12 was very, very nice. Thank you to the FFA Chapter for putting it on. Thank you to Mrs. Megan Richner for being their adviser.
• We, the Kempers, had a very busy three days. On Nov. 10, we and Daniel Allnutt went to the home of Kim, Dan, Jared and Abby Allnutt to help Jared celebrate his 18th birthday, which was on Nov. 12. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch, cake, etc. Daniel, Dan and Jared had gone deer hunting in the morning but had no luck. Nov. 11, we attended the Dinner Theatre, after attending Sunday School, which featured Marion Ross in The Games Afoot. Also attending were Bob and Gigi Weltsch; Dan and Mary Cromer; and Phyllis Green and her daughter Gale. On the way home from the Theatre, we stopped at the Buck home. Gabby had two projects due this week and we got to see what she was doing. On Nov. 12, we went to Sterling Elementary in Warrensburg for the Veterans Day program at our granddaughter Abbys school. It was a fantastic program. Daniel Allnutt visited us that evening.
• The Freeman Community Club met Nov. 8 with a potluck dinner starting at 6 p.m. Wayne Snell led the pledge to the flag. Donna Geivett read the minutes of the previous meeting and they were approved as read. Dick Sanders handed out the Treasurers report and it also was approved as read. The club voted to donate to the After Prom for next year. Earl Geivett, Larry Eason and Joyce Olds are on a committee to audit the books. The nominating committee is Gwen Eason, Corky Cook and John Weiss. Plans were discussed for the Annual Lighting Ceremony that will be Sunday, Dec. 2. Music will start at 5 p.m. followed by Santa at 6 p.m. We will have a photographer but you might want to bring your own camera. Throughout the evening there will be a fire to roast hot dogs and also there will be hayrides. There also will be the annual coloring contest. Each club member, and anyone else that desires, is requested to bring two dozen cookies. Corky Cook is in charge of this again this year. Melva Baldwin gave a report on the Haunted House for Halloween. They had over 200 visitors that night. She thanked everyone that provided candy. Some of the club members put out the flags for Veterans Day.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Nov. 17 - Vince Farr, Mary Margaret Myers and Don Smither; Nov. 18 - Greg Buck; Nov. 19 - Phil Terry, Larry Lee and Joey Semsch; Nov. 20 - Pat Mueller; Nov. 21 - Mary Ann Davenport; Nov. 22 - Kylie Sanders; Nov. 23 - Abby Linder, Rick Linder, and Earl Geivett; Nov. 24 - Dan Lee.
• Anniversary wishes go to Don and Nancy Swartz on Nov. 19.
By Gail Lyon
• The West Line Church celebrated Veterans Day with a program. The children read poems and Charlene, Lois and Alicia sang patriotic songs. It was a beautiful program. They collected the Operation Christmas Child boxes. Will have more information next week.
• The Richardsons had their Thanksgiving overhome and it was a wonderful dinner as usual.
• Nov. 11, Sheila Hinchcliffe took her parents to Greenwood to watch their 5-year-old grandson, Trevor Kuntz, compete in a dirt bike competition. He didnt win but he was so cute to watch. A good outing for the old folks.
• Abby Lyon and Emma Lyon spent Nov. 10 with Grandma Gail. They went shopping for things to put in their Christmas child boxes. After Church, they went to the overhome dinner.
• Happy Birthday: Emma Lyon, Gail Lyon, Larry Wayman 16th, Vince Farr 17th, Mark Bailey 19th, Albert Bailey, Mark Tarwater 20th. Donna Barrett 21st, Darren Cross, Corina (Cook) Brown 22nd, Bobbie Miner, Nancy Rhodes 23rd.
• Happy Anniversary: Ron and Ruth Ann Dane 17th, Eddie and Barbara Irvin 24th, and Kris and Jennifer Cook 25th.