By Mischaele Bearce
• The East Lynne Fire Department was supposed to have the medical director down this week, but it was cancelled until January or February.
• Sympathy goes out to Jill Powell on the passing of her father Jackie this week. He was killed in a car wreck Dec. 14.
• East Lynne School will be closed starting on Monday, Dec. 24, through Monday, Jan. 7. Tuesday, Jan. 8, will be the first day back from Christmas break. Thursday, Jan. 3, the Quiz team will have a Quiz Bowl from 4 to 8 p.m. in Chilhowee.
• Last week we had a wonderful time watching our grandson, Dereck, in a Christmas program down at Adrian school. Every year he gets so excited going up on stage to sing. Brandy and Brezlynn Jones went with us.
• Happy birthday to Frank Trainer, Kindred Weseman, Howard Raffurty, Christopher Harris, Lauren Richter, Patrick Dickey, Rena Heavin, Eavey Bevan, and Walter Nemecheck.
• Happy anniversary to John and Judy Gentry and TJ and Chrissy Poole.
By Nina Kemper
• The Freeman Presbyterian Church will have its annual Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec 24. Everyone is welcome.
• The Freeman Cemetery Association will have its annual meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, at Freeman Community Center. This is for anyone interested in Freeman Cemetery.
• The Freeman Police Department would like to thank everyone who donated and made this years Shop-with-a-Cop/Firefighter a success. I would like to give special thanks to Club 111 for its generous donation, Pizza Hut in Harrisonville for donating pizzas for the event, Quick Trip for its donation, and Farmland Foods for the donation of hams to help with Christmas dinners. Also a big thanks to Dolan West Cold Fire and Cleveland Police Department for all the help. And I would like to thank Andrew for all he does for this event.
• The Freeman Community Club had its regular monthly meeting Dec. 13. LaVeta Sanders led the pledge to the flag. Donna Geivett, secretary, read the minutes of the previous meeting and they were approved as given. Dick Sanders, treasurer, handed out copies of his report and it was approved. Corky Cook gave a report of the Christmas Lighting and said it was the best ever. She thanked everyone that helped in any way. The nominating committee gave their report of who they came up with for officers for the next year. President will be Gwen Eason; vice president will be Corky Cook; secretary will be Donna Geivett. Treasurer will be announced later. LaVeta Sanders will head up the breakfast. There was a drawing for a door prize, one for men and one for women. Bob Smith won for the men and Donna Geivett for the women. After the meeting, snacks were enjoyed.
• Get well wishes go to so many in the community that have had colds, flu, etc. Hope everyone is well enough to enjoy Christmas.
• The Freeman Presbyterian Church will have a Bible Study on Deuteronomy by Beth Moore from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays. They will meet in the pastors study. All women are invited. You do not have to be a member of the Presbyterian Church to attend.
• Ty and a friend of hers lit the candles Dec. 16 at the Freeman Presbyterian church. Dick and LaVeta Sanders lit the Advent Candle. Natalie Madison had the Childrens Moment. Awnee Henness had Childrens Church. The praise band, composed of Juan, Kyle, Alex Eckhoff and David Needham, played their guitars and led the congregation in Sanctuary.
• We, Norvell and Nina Kemper, attended the Christmas get-together of Norvells former coworkers Dec. 12 at Lake City. We met at Golden Corral in Independence and we had a great time. This group gets together every three months.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Dec. 22 - Lorie Blackwell, Shirley Merrifield, Debra Smith; Dec. 23 - Doris Fern Doyle and Kim Allnutt; Dec. 24 - Lisa Lee, Cory Mickelson; Dec. 25 - Susan Ruble, Tammy Hayden and Christ Roberts; Dec. 27 - Melva Baldwin, Albert McDowell and Larry Wilt; Dec. 28 - Blake Scholl, Wanda Griffith, Gloria Messmer and Ron Linder.
• Some anniversaries for next week include: Dec. 22 - Toby and Loretta Wiseman and Steve and Diane Coble; Dec. 25 - Linda and Vance Nash and Dec. 28 - Jim and Janet Vannordstrand.
By Gail Lyon
• The West Line Christian Church is preparing for its Christmas program. There was practice after church Dec. 16.
• I hope everyones ready for Christmas more than I am. Ive been fighting a cold for two weeks and not doing a very good job. I am doing better now.
• Nathan Lyon celebrated his birthday at Space Bound in Belton on Dec. 15 with family and a couple of friends. Everyone had a great time. Then Nathan, Abby and Emma spent the night with Grandma Gail. They attended Sunday school the next day.
• Ed Kinney finally was released from the hospital Dec. 15 from his quadruple bypass. We all wish Ed a speedy recovery.
• Midway released school for the winter break at 1:12 p.m. Dec. 20. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
• Happy Birthday: Nathan Lyon 23rd, Penny Tarwater 24th, Jesus, Susan Ruble, Courage Jansen, Chris Goddard 25th, Aaron Goddard, Maddison Aderson 26th, and Gary Mathews 27th.
• Happy Anniversary: Steve and Diane 22nd