By Dea Ann Ackerman
• The youth group from First Baptist Church of Cleveland is having a spaghetti dinner and silent auction Sunday, Feb. 17. The dinner and auction will begin immediately after the morning worship service. Everyone is invited to attend, hope you can make it.
• First Baptist Church of Cleveland is making plans for Vacation Bible School, which will be July 8-12.
• Cass Midway had its annual tournament last week. The girls finished in second place and the boys finished in third. Congratulations Vikings.
• If you have any news, please call 816-658-3734.
By Mischaele Bearce
• The East Lynne Fire Department had two calls for the week. One medical and one chimney fire. Feb. 11 was the board meeting at the station with Jackie Groblebe, Mischaele Bearce, Connie Kudron, Howard Raffurty and Max Schmoll present. The fire department got notification that it would receive a Conservation Grant this year for fire equipment. Feb. 13 was CCFFA at our station with Doug Catron talking about crime scenes, what to do and not to do. In March we will have Randy Powell do an arson class. Congratulations to Mike Davis who passed FireFighter 1 +2 and, starting this week, will go on to EMT classes. Way to go Mike!
• Sympathy goes out to Marilyn Engelbrecht on the passing of her husband Lawrence this week. Marilyn works the election board at the fire station and Lawrence has filled in a few occasions.
• Happy birthday to Ava Stuby, Glenda Jones, Rand Strickland, Brandie Kresse, Shannon Zieman, Braeden Spies, Billie Crusha, Sam Terrell, John Weaver, Vickie Hall and Kris Strickland.
By Nina Kemper
• Freeman Community Club will have its regular monthly breakfast 8-10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23. There will be sausage, biscuits, gravy, pancakes and. of course, drinks. Freewill donation. Everyone welcome.
• The Walmart Retirees will meet at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at Diamond Rays. If you retired from Walmart or were a long-time associate, please join this group.
• The 2013 Cass Midway Baccalaureate Committee met Feb. 7 at Cass Midway High School. Fourteen attended this meeting, including the Superintendent. This years Baccalaureate will be at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 5, in the high school gymnasium. The speaker will be Gary Amble from KCTV5. Everyone is welcome.
• Elaine Sturm had the Childrens Sermon on Feb. 10 at Freeman Presbyterian and also she and Hunter Oakes had Childrens Church. Awnee Henness read the scriptures. Ash Wednesday services were Feb 13. Several people are on our prayer list because of illness, surgery, etc. Glendon Ullery was scheduled for brain surgery on Feb. 13. Claude Sturms great nephew underwent brain surgery on Feb. 11 and that went well. The Valentine Party/Annual Dessert Bake-off contest was Feb. 10. They had a three-way tie for first. After the contest, they had the annual white elephant Bingo Party.
• Congratulations to the Cass Midway girls on taking second place at the Cass Midway basketball tournament. Cass Midway boys team took third place. The girls lost by three and the boys won by three.
• Ty Eckhoff had a gymnastic meet on Feb. 9 and she did very well. She received 8.9 on all events. Fourth in vault; third on bars; sixth on beam; third on floor and was third all-around.
• Nina and Norvell Kemper went to North Liberty High School with their grandson on Feb. 9 for the District wrestling tournament. Jared took second in his weight class and the team placed fourth.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Feb. 16 - Rev. Dave Irwin, Linda Kurzweil, DeAnn Wolfe and Kim Vanderford; Feb. 17 - Alyssa Smither; Feb. 18 - Kath McClain; Feb. 19 - Pam Blair, Tom Fields and Naomi Cook; Feb. 20 - Donnie Whitcraft; Feb. 21 - Jean Kisner and Wyatt Mabary; Feb. 22 - Nan Adams and Carolyn and Katie Scott; Feb. 23 - Barbara Simpson.
• Anniversary wishes go to Chris and Rick Roberts on Feb. 18 and to Mark and Kristin Hill on Feb. 23.
By Gail Lyon
• Hope everyone had a Happy Valentines Day.
• One of the greatest things happened at church this week. Pastor Barth said this is what it is all about. We had a baptism Feb. 10. Pastor Barth baptized Lexi Gunnels. Her family and some of her friends from school were there for the blessed event.
• Midways 27th tournament is in the books. The boys took third and the girls took second. Congratulations boys and girls.
• Happy Birthday: Jennifer Hager 15th, Jenny Stukes 16th, Nora Kay Evins 17th, Shayla Madden 18th, Naomi Cook, Valerie Boatwright 19th, Donnie Whitcraft 20th.
• Happy Anniversary: Steve and Shannon Chandler