By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne Fire Department had one call for the week when an alarm malfunctioned. Board meeting was Sept. 9 with Jackie Groblebe, Max Schmoll, Howard Raffurty and Mischaele Bearce present. There was a special meeting two weeks ago on tax rates. We are starting to put together the Fall Festival goodie bags for the students down at the school. First responders will be working down at the school once again for the basketball games.
• John and Mischaele Bearce, along with Crystal and Armando Gonzalez and family, went on vacation for nine days. Crystal and Brecken and Samara left with us a day earlier to go to Florida to see my sister and some of her family. We had a great time going over pictures of grandparents and great-grandparents that I had just gotten out of mothers cedar chest. In that cedar chest was mothers wedding dress (three pieces) and a lot of crotchet items that she had made throughout her life. We also found, after 25 years of looking, her wedding ring set and my grandmothers wedding ring set. This was all found just days before I was to go see my sister. We took Brecken to Louisiana to see a famous football players home and then to the State of Alabama University. The first weekend, we were in New Orleans it was Gay Pride week. The next weekend when we went back we took an awesome bus tour and saw the plantation home, Jazz district, Garden district and where Katrina hit 8 years ago. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and windy spoken. The tour was to be about 2 hours and went for almost 4 ½ hours. But our main vacation was a cruise to Progresso and Cozumel, and Mexico. This was a wonderful first-time cruise for us and Samara loved the ship.
• Sympathy goes out to the Faulkenberry family on the death of Ronnie last week.
By Nina Kemper
• Freeman Homecoming is Saturday, Sept. 14. Kiddie parade starts at 10:30 a.m. with the main parade at 11 a.m. Following that, the ham and bean dinner in the Community Club building will start serving. There is entertainment all day. Come out for a good time.
• The Walmart Retirees will meet at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at Diamond Rays. If you retired from Walmart or were a long-time associate, please join this group.
• Alexandria (Herndon) Whistle was honored with a baby shower at Harrisonville Community Center by her Aunt Michele and Uncle Troy Smith. This will be the first child for Alexandria and Michael Whistle.
• A first birthday celebration for Hyde James Smith was at the home of his grandmother, Irene Moore, Louisburg, Kan. Hyde is the son of Michele and Troy Smith, Harrisonville, the grandson of Georgia and Gary Smith, Freeman, and great-grandson of Martha Jane Whithorne, Overland Park, Kan. It was a fun party with a decorative elephant theme.
• Im sorry there was no news last week because I was in the hospital.
• There was good attendance at the Freeman Presbyterian Church on Sept. 8. Shelley Needham and Hunter Oakes had Childrens Church and Elaine Sturm had the Childrens Moment. Michael Oakes read the scriptures. A2J will have a cakewalk at Freeman Homecoming.
• A few deacons and A2J members of Freeman Presbyterian Church went to Cass Midway on Sept. 6 to clean up around the football stands. Those cleaning were Elaine Sturm, Diane Packingham, Laurie, Randy and Michael Oakes and Velma Stewart provided cold drinks for them. The first home football game is Friday, Sept. 13.
• Norvell Kemper and Kay Buck attended The New Dinner Theatre on Sept. 1.
• We extend our sympathy to the family and friends of Mary Lane, who died Sept. 5.
• We extend our sympathy to the family and friend of Kasey Ann Haase, who died Sept. 7. Services will be at noon Saturday, Sept. 14. .
• Some birthdays for this week include: Sept. 13 - Stacy Oyster; Sept. 14 - Steve Coble and Don Williams; Sept. 15 - Madison Eberle, Carol Irvin and Debbie Lacy; Sept. 16 - Lance Smither, Michael Hawkins, Barbara Moore, Kendyl Thomas and Bev Claypool; Sept. 17 - Elaine Sturm and Mike Kurzweil Sept. 18 - Jan Inman, Dan Eberle and Lucas Thomas; Sept. 19 - Cindy Ring, Jason Honeycutt; Sept. 20 - Phill Needham and Jerry Burchett;
By Gail Lyon
• Christine Whitcraft, Jamie, and spouses served breakfast to the whole congregation celebrating Grandparents Day. The menu was pancakes with all the toppings, cinnamon cake and juice. Thank you, girls and spouses, for a great breakfast and fellowship.
• Jeff, Dawn and Caleb Newman drove Robert and Lois Young to Colorado Springs to visit May Robbinette and her family.
• Carrie (Irvin) and Jason Phelps celebrated their recent marriage with a reception at the Richardson home in West Line. It was decorated in Country Style. The table cloths were black with burlap runners, the centerpieces were old watering cans, or mason jars with fall-colored fresh flowers, hay bales were covered with quilts, dance floor, one area had old wooden boxes with old jars full of candy, and an old-fashioned looking wet bar and a non-alcoholic bar of water, lemonade and tea. The menu was a whole hog, baked beans, hash brown casserole, green beans and garden green salad. Her wedding dress was on display, which was an off-white, slim-fitting gown. The entertainment was her brothers, Aaron, Nathan, Patrick, also known as Tater, and Uncle Jim Vanordstrand played music and sang. Her mother, Carol Irvin, and sister, Amanda, also sang songs. It was a wonderful celebration for everyone. The guests were given a jar of jelly for helping them celebrate their new life.
• The Midway varsity football game was at Archie. It was a win for Midway.
• Happy Birthday: Steve Coble 14th, Carol Irvin 15th, Beverly Smith 16th, Dawn Newman 17th.
• Happy Anniversary: Alan and Denise Goddard 17th, Gary and Phyllis Mathews 18th