By Mischaele Bearce
• Donna Guggisberg loved having Teri Harmon and her boys down for a visit last week. Caleb and his girlfriend Alicia, P.T. and Loni, and Sam and Rebecca Harmon stopped by to visit from Walnut, Iowa, on the way to West Plains for a float trip.
• The church building was packed Sept. 15. The surge of people was due to an annual youth event called Rock The Lake that takes place out on a farm, owned by Doyle Yoder, about 13 miles east of Harrisonville. Starting in 2008, it allows teens in the area to gather to share their budding musical talents, as well as hearing some of the bigger name groups in the area playing different styles of contemporary Christian music. The event also includes activities such as 3-on-3 volleyball, canoeing out on the lake, a wipe-out course, hayrides, and some great food. Bethany (Hartzler) and Chris Slocum, who took their group to South Dakota with the East Lynne Assembly of God on a mission trip in June, brought their group of 32 up for the event. FutureVision, an organization based in Oklahoma, also came up for the Rock The Lake event. It was a great time of fellowship and renewal.
• Happy birthday to Avy and Jaurie Wells, Jill Reed, Lori Schmoll, Dereck Bearce, Hailey Wilson, Lexi Scammacca, Ervin Carson, Robert Cox, Paul Krapes, Lane Hartley, Anna Farris, Bethany Slocum, Pattie Clute-Rodgers, Stacey Hopson Evelynn Freelen, Malachi Cearley, Cailtlyn Sass, Taylor Scott, Lyndsey Lawson, Luke Woolery, Rick Farris, Hunter Hawkins, Aubrie Jo Zumwalt, Jerry Hayes, Barbara Hayes, and Aiden Minors.
• Happy 34th anniversary to a wonderful couple, Bob and Cheryl Wheldon.
By Nina Kemper
• We extend our sympathy to the family and friends of Ted Harper. Ted died last week and services were Sept. 22. He is the father of Brent Harper, Elizabeth McCreery and Lesley Canady; his brother is Bill Harper; and he has six grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
• The next meeting of the Freeman Community Club will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10. We will discuss Homecoming and how things went. Everyone welcome.
• Congratulations to James II and Laurin Carver on the birth of a daughter Sept. 22. Jacqualynn Renee Mari Carver weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces and was 20 inches long.
• Congratulations to the varsity and junior varsity girls volleyball teams. They were both in a tournament Sept. 21 in different places and both won first place.
• Also congratulations to the Midway football team on a win Sept. 20 at Appleton City, 42-0. This week is a home game at 7 p.m. against Drexel.
• Joyce Farr and Elaine Sturm were the candle lighters at Freeman Presbyterian Church on Sept. 22. Dan Manning had the Childrens Moment and Natalie Ardrey and Hunter Oakes had Childrens Church. Diane Packingham read the scriptures.
• Get well wishes go to James Carver, who had surgery in Olathe, Kan., Sept. 23. Jim has had a lot of lung and heart problems and we hope this helps.
• The West Line Christian Church will have a chili dinner for a building fundraiser 4:30-7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 12. This will be at the church and the menu is chili, hot dogs, dessert, coffee, tea and water. Everyone welcome.
• Mark your calendar for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30. Teresa Hensley will be at Freeman Presbyterian Church, 402 N. Harrison, to give a program on Keeping Kids and Teens Safe in the Real World. Childcare will be available at the church. Everyone welcome.
• Due to medical reasons, Freeman News will be on hiatus for the next three weeks and should resume Friday, Oct. 25.
• Some birthdays for next week are: Sept. 28 - Larry Eason; Morgan Scott and Billy Oliphant; Sept. 29 - Velma Goforth and James Carver, Jr.; Sept. 30 - Tom Marshall; Oct. 1 - Alex Eckhoff, Nathan Irvin and Brett Burchett; Oct. 2 - Lois Lawson, Ruth Miller, Kevin Myer; Oct. 3 - Zachary Sturm, Peggy Linder and Logan Mabary; Oct. 4 - Chandler Stephens; and Oct. 5 - Melanie Taylor and Lilli Vento-Streeter.
• Anniversary wishes go to Jessica and Jacob Vento-Streeter on Oct. 4.
By Gail Lyon
• The West Line Church is getting ready for phase two on the new project. There is a lot coming in the next month. Wednesday, Oct. 9, there will be a Womens Meeting after church; at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9, there will be a Fundraiser Planning Meeting;and 4:30-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, is the Chili Dinner at the church. This is for the building project. Please come and enjoy fellowship and good food and help this building project become a reality.
• The junior high and junior varsity football teams played at home Sept. 23 and they didnt win but it was a good game. The 7th- and 8th-grade girls also played volleyball and the A team won but the B team lost by one point. The junior high, junior varsity and varsity girls played Sept. 24 at home and the 7th- and 8th-grade girls played Sept. 26. The varsity football team will play Drexel at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, at home. They are undefeated.
• The West Line community sends its deepest sympathy to the Meryle Wooden family. Meryle died at his home Sept. 21.
• Happy Birthday: Maxine Farr 27th, Joel Cochran, Kaylan Wren 29th, Kelly Adams 30th, Robin Mayes, Brett Burchett, Devin Irvin, Nathan Irvin, John Stoklasa 1st, Nathan Mathews 2nd.
• Happy Anniversary: Larry and Joyce Campbell.