By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne Fire Department had a medical for the week. The annual Christmas party was Dec. 8 and a was a huge success. We had over 50 firefighters and their families present. Thank you Jackie Groblebe for all the decorations you put up this year, running and getting the plaques done and supplies bought. The Board approved the spending of this party and we really do appreciate them for doing this for us. We are still a volunteer fire department and there are times when the tones go off and there is no one to respond, so we have to rely on Harrisonville fire/ambulance or Pleasant Hill to respond. This is just information to pass along, but if the weather is bad, we have to clean our cars off first, go to the station and then to the callers home/wreck, etc. Firefighter of the years was Mike Davis, who completed the FF1and 2, EMT, Hazmat and passed all of them. Support person for the second year is Connie Kudron.
• AT&T and Western Electric meets at 9 a.m. the first Monday of every month at Hardees. If you worked for these companies, feel free to stop by and have breakfast or just a cup of coffee and chat with fellow workers.
• Starting at 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 13, will be the Mayors Tree lighting ceremony at the little pat located on Main Street. There will be a few special performances and maybe a jolly visitor. After the lighting of the Mayors Christmas Tree, City Hall will have a phone shoot with our surprise guests. Please bring your own camera and there will be hot chocolate and kid games.
• At 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 14, the student council Christmas Charity event occurs, where they choose a family or families for adoption; at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17, East Lynne School Quiz Bowl will be going to Chilhowee; at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18, the Outdoor Classroom Kids Klub will meet; at 2:50 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20, will be room parties. School will not be in session Dec. 21-Jan.6. Students will return from winter break Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014. Talent show winners are K-2: 1st-Kenny Barnard and 2nd-Selah Parris, 3rd-5th: 1st-Eli Parris and 2nd-Hattie Wilson/Ellie Yoder, 6th-8th: 1st-Kenady Taylor and 2nd-Lillian Hass. Great job to Sonja Yoder and the Drama Club on their Comedy Cafe production. As the students would say Keep Calm and Drama On. The East Lynne staff did a community service trip by preparing and serving food at the two Ronald McDonald houses in Kansas City.
By Nina Kemper
• The Walmart Retirees will meet Tuesday, Dec. 17, for the monthly lunch at Diamond Rays. If you retired from Walmart or were a long-time associate, please join this group. We meet at 11:30 a.m.
• The annual Christmas Eve Service at Freeman Presbyterian Church will be at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Dec. 14 - Ann Elaine Snelling; Dec. 16 - Kay Terry, Travis Lee and Elyse Potts; Dec. 17 - Logan Stephens; Dec. 18 - Marsha Ogden; Dec. 19 - Norman Clark; Dec. 20 - Steve Tallman and Keely Hammontree; Dec. 21 -Linda Carroll.