By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne Fire Department was busy Jan. 5-6 due to a structural fire in Pleasant Hill. The department got the mutual aid call and worked it for about six hours. There also was a medical call for the week. Board meeting will be Monday, Jan. 13. The air conditioning unit got installed this last week also.
• East Lynne Assembly of God has decided to change its name to East Point. Everything else will stay the same except the Outreach program. We plan on more dinners and gatherings and hope to get the community of East Lynne and surrounding towns to participate.
• It was really different at our house this December as John had three weeks off for vacation. He went back Jan. 6 and I was happy for him to be out of the house finally and then sad as it was nice to be able to just leave whenever we wanted to and not have to arrange our time to meet somewhere. His work was really ready for him to be back.
• The AT&T and Western Electric group will meet at 9 a.m. the first Monday of every month at Hardees. Anyone, male or female, that had worked for these companies are more than welcome to come and socialize.
• Happy birthday to Robert Dark, Kay Schrock, Lucas Hayes, David Carnes Jr., Blaze Weaver, John Bearce, Angie Evans, Will Price, Hunter Jones, Bryan Groblebe, Jody Middaugh, Maggie Shea, Cody Call, Heyden Denner, Donn Miller, Holly Christensen, Ian Stansberry, Garrett Heaper, Christian Switzer, Elaine Norman, Malarie Christainsen and Dillard Meins.
• Happy anniversary to Misty and Jim Terrell.
By Nina Kemper
• Freeman Cemetery Association meets at 10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, at the Freeman Community Club building.
• Senior Citizen Bingo will be Tuesday, Jan. 14, at the Freeman Commu8nity Club building. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. Bring a white elephant gift for bingo.
• The Walmart Retirees will meet at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21, at Diamond Rays in Harrisonville. If you retired from Walmart or were a long-time associate, please join this group.
• The Freeman Community Club will have its first breakfast of 2014 8-10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 25. Freewill donation.
• Gwen and Larry Eason received news that they are now great-grandparents. Ellie Rae Winger was born to their granddaughter, Danielle Eason Winger, on Dec. 25, 2013. Ellie Rae weighed 7 pounds, 14 ounces and was 20 inches long.
• Due to the extreme cold, Cass Midway students had some extra holiday time added to their schedule. Several in the area also woke up to some frozen pipes. I think everyone is hoping for an early spring.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Jan. 11 - Jim Muchmore and Carrie Irvin; Jan. 12 - Shelby Linder; Jan. 13 - Linda Weiss, Mary Sue Smither; Jan. 15 - Laurie Oakes and Heather Smith; Jan. 16 - Bob Farr, Loretta Wiseman, Merrilee Mickelson and Goldie Binder; Jan. 17 - Michael Davis, Jr.; Jan. 18 - Gwen Eason, Steve Shipley and Jodie Whitcraft.
• Anniversary wishes go to Beverly and John Mabary on Jan. 13.
By Gail Lyon
• Sorry about no news for two weeks, its just a busy time for me and my work shift changes and it gets quite crazy.
• The West Line Christian Church building project has really been going forward. It has got all the outside finished so now it is time to start the inside. There was no church Jan. 5. The West Line Church Christmas program was a week late. It was about a homeless man and people reaching out to help. The little kids sang Silent Night and Jessie Humbird played it on the piano.
• Midway also had a very nice winter program in December.
• The junior high and high school also had a choir and band concert.
• Ray and Donna Barrett had a breakfast for their family this Christmas. Brandi Barrett cooked most of the breakfast for Donna was getting over the flu. Larri Nelson also played host to Josh Barrett and family, Bob Lyon and family, Vicky Lyon, Lori Brock, Jessie and Grace Kirby, Eric Sechrest, Travis Nelson and boys, Sonya and Trenton Hall, Tim and kids, Sara Davis and Gail Lyon, Tyler Lyon and friend Mary.
• On New Years Eve, Sara Davis invited Tim, Abby, Emma and I to celebrate the new year. We had lasagna, bread sticks and different cheesecakes. We then played a dice game called Farkle. The girls and I went to Donna Barretts to finish out the New Years celebration. We had red and white grape bubbly. We also had horns that Larri Nelson loved to blow. We went home around 9 p.m. We did not make midnight.
• The Young Ladies Group Journey went to the Holiday Inn Express and enjoyed swimming and eating snacks. The girls have been doing some projects for the homeless and collecting items.
• Happy Birthday: Eric Sechrest 9th, Mckeena Irvin 10th, Carol Didier, Willie Creekiller, Wanda Crowder, Carrie (Irvin) Phelps, Chris Irvin, Jim Muchmore. Heather Smith, and Bob Farr.
• Happy Anniversary: Gene and Doris Goddard 13th.