By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne Fire Department had two medicals and a MVC this week. Jan. 30, Mike Davis and Jackie Groblebe were down at the station working on one of the trucks. While that was going on, the Silver Manor Board meeting was going on in the office area. Those who attended were Lisa Akins, president; Vice President Cliff Woolery, who decided he wanted to have someone else take over his place so now it is Elaine Ramsey; Linda Cox, secretary; Lisa Christiansen, treasurer; Mary Parker, manager; and Max Schmoll and Mischaele Bearce. Schmoll was the only one who attended out of the 50+ letters that Cox sent out for the Annual Board meeting for Silver Manor. Parker had changed the phone number on the sign outside the apartments but since then it has changed again. Her new number is 816-884-2565. Since the last meeting, there has been a new roof put on the apartment buildings and Howard Raffurty had to replace an A/C unit, a garbage disposal and a water heater in one of the apartments.
• Silver Manor Board would like to thank all interested people for returning their proxy forms so that the annual meeting could be held in accordance with USDA bylaws. The Board will remain the same except for Cliff Woolery retiring. His participation and interest in maintaining the Senior Apartments in East Lynne is greatly appreciated. We wish him well as he will be able to devote more of his attention to his family and church. He is a great asset to the community and will be missed on the Board. Also, thank you to the East Lynne/Gunn City Volunteer Fire Department for the use of their building for us to have our meetings.
• Feb. 3 was to be a make-up day for the school kids but because there was no schooldue to the ice, they will still have to make up that day and also Feb. 4 and any other day they had to miss this week.
• Happy birthday to Audrey Kiefer, Logan Magness, Vickie Casey, Jeffrey Breiver, Keigan Rowe, Cyndi Ramage and June Dooley, Elizabeth Call, Kathy Smalley, Nancy Lawson, Rick Richards, Dustin Blaine, Coleman Corson, Kyle Fiore and Alyssa Davis.
• Happy anniversary to J. and Nancy Cantrell.
By Nina Kemper
• The Cass Midway After-Prom Committee will serve dinner during the Midway Invitational Basketball Tournament, which is 4-8 p.m. Feb. 10-15. The menu is Mon - Sloppy Joe, Baked Beans and chips; Tue - Chicken & Noodles, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Roll; Wed - Pulled Pork Sandwich, Hash Brown Casserole, Fruit Salad; Thurs - Taco Bar; Fri - Cavatini Pasta, Caesar Salad, Breadstick; Sat - Polish Sausage, Seven Layer Salad. Homemade dessert available every night and Cotton Candy on Friday. Dinner is $6.00 and Desserts are $1.00-$2.00.
• The icy weather caused a lot of cancellations, including the Archie tournament games Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 and all youth basketball games Feb. 1.
• Senior Citizen Bingo will be Tuesday, Feb. 11 at the Freeman Community Club. Bring your favorite snack, there will be no lunch. Bingo will follow.
• The Freeman Community Club will have its regular monthly meeting Thursday, Feb. 13, with a potluck dinner at 6 p.m. with the meeting to follow at approximately 7 p.m.
• Valentine Party 10-11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 16, at Freeman Baptist Church. All children ages 3 - 12 years are invited to a free Valentine Party featuring the story Shawns Search for True Love. The morning will consist of an exciting Bible lesson, Valentine games and songs, prizes, refreshments and Valentine treat bags. Children may also bring Valentine cards to share. For more information, call Darlene at 816-250-2186. Parents are always welcome.
• The Walmart Retirees will meet at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18, at Down Home Diner.
• Get well wishes go to Bob and Beverly Smith. Bob has been in the hospital with pneumonia and Beverly has had the shingles.
• We extend our sympathy to the family and friends of Billy Thomas. Billy died Feb. 2 and services were Feb. 5. His wife, Virginia, and brother, Ted Thomas, plus other family and friends survive.
• Some birthdays for next week include: Feb. 8 - Velma Fletcher and Austin Vannordstrand; Feb. 9 - Rita Taylor; Feb. 10 - Dan Allnutt, Jerry Semsch and Laurin Carver; Feb. 11 - Bambi Turk and Ann Sinclair; Feb. 15 - Troy Terry.
By Gail Lyon
• West Line Christian Church was open Feb. 2. They also had their Basket Dinner. There are some events coming soon. There will be a Valentines dinner and movie 5-10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15. There will be childcare provided at the West Line Community Building.
• The Midway Basketball Tournament will begin at 4:30 p.m. everyday Monday, Feb. 10, through Saturday, Feb. 15. Midway After-Prom Committee dinner will be 4-8 p.m. Feb. 10-15 during Midway Invitational Basketball Tournament. Monday - Sloppy Joe, baked beans, chips; Tuesday - Chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll; Wednesday - Pulled pork sandwich, hash brown casserole, fruit salad; Thursday - Taco bar; Friday - Cavatina pasta, Caesar salad, bread stick; Saturday - Polish sausage, seven-layer salad. Homemade dessert available every night and cotton candy on Friday. Dinner $6 - Dessert $1-$2
• My grandkids came over and spent the night of Feb. 1 with me. The girls played with their dolls and Nathan played with his remote-control cars, even on the ice. He also scraped the ice off our porch and walkway. Thank you very much, Nathan.
• Happy Birthday: Donnie Lyon, Linda Hager 8th, Jim Arnett, Leigh Ann Starks 9th, Blake Mincks 10th, Martha Lyon, Clarice Carlson 13th.
• Happy Anniversary: Steve and Della Bailey 8th.