A new club at Bridle Ridge Intermediate School, Raymore, helps foster positive change at the school.
Counselor Piper Showen and music teacher Samantha Dobson created the Be the Change Club with a focus on spreading kindness in the school and community.
Each week, students complete a “challenge.” The following week, they write about their experience with the challenge. At the end of the club, each student receives a copy of all challenges completed to take home.
Each quarter at Bridle Ridge, students choose a club in which to participate. About 30 students each quarter have chosen to attend Be the Change Club.
Some of the weekly challenges include
• Slip a note of encouragement into someone's locker. It cannot be a current friend.
• Ask someone you have never asked before to sit by you at lunch or play with you at recess.
• Write a sincere thank-you note to an adult who you appreciate but never tell.
• Write motivational notes and post them around school.
• Write three things you have learned and want to do to keep the change going. Put it somewhere will you will see it everyday.