Election Day is almost here.
Polls will be open open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 8, for Cass County voters to vote on a number of issues and candidates who have filed for school board, city council or mayoral seats.
The deadline to register to vote in the general municipal election was March 12.
In Peculiar, there’s a four-person race for the mayoral seat in the running. There will also be mayoral races in Creighton, Freeman, Garden City, Lake Winnebago, Strasburg and Pleasant Hill.
Both Drexel and East Lynne have tax propositions on the ballot, along with the cities of Harrisonville and Peculiar, Pleasant Hill who are looking for voter approval for funds to make community improvements.
Raymore voters will be asked three questions on their April ballot in regard to city council and mayoral candidate qualifications, and if a charter amendment can be amended to outline specific procedures for petitions.
Other contested races around Cass County include:
• West Ward alderman seat in Garden City (two candidates).
• Ward 3 alderman seat in Peculiar (two candidates).
• At-Large and Precinct No. 22 council member seats in Pleasant Hill (two candidates).
• Ward 4 council member seat in Raymore (two candidates).
School board races are slated for the Cass Midway (three seats, four candidates), East Lynne (three seats, four candidates), Harrisonville (three seats, five candidates), Pleasant Hill (three seats, nine candidates), and Raymore-Peculiar (three seats, six candidates) school districts.
A countywide sample ballot is available on the Cass County Clerk’s website (www.casscounty.com).
Here is some more information voters should know before they go to the polls:
Who is eligible to vote? Anyone who is a U.S. citizen, a resident of Cass County, at least 18 years old, and is not serving any felony sentences is eligible to vote. But, you must have registered by March 12.
A person must be 18 years old on or before election day to be eligible to vote.
Where do I vote? You can visit the website of the Missouri Secretary of State Office (www.sos.mo.gov/elections/PollingPlaceLookup) to search for your polling place. The location is also listed on the voter identification cards that have been issued to registered voters in the county.
The voter’s polling place will be listed on the card, along with a listing of the voter’s units of government (school and fire districts, hospital boards, city wards, etc.) that they are able to vote within.
Belton’s Precincts 40 and 41 voters will have a new polling location for the April election from where they have gone in the past.
Individuals who previously voted in the recreational hall at St. Sabina Church, 700 Trevis, will now vote at Belton Christian Church, 409 Airway Ln., Belton.
Those who have questions are encouraged to call the Cass County Clerk’s Office at 816-380-8102.
When do I vote? The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 8.
Will I need identification? Yes. You can use any of these forms:
• The preferred identification is the voter ID card from the Cass County Clerk’s Office.
• A driver’s license.
• An ID issued by a government or state agency.
• An ID issued by an institution of higher education (university, college, vocational and technical school) located within Missouri.
• A passport, Social Security card, Medicaid or Medicare card, or other identification issued by the federal government.
• A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that contains your name and address.
What if I’ve moved since the last election? You'll need to notify the clerk’s office that you have changed your address as soon as possible.
If you moved from somewhere within Cass County, contact the clerk’s office as soon as possible to report your new address. If your new address isn’t listed in the election judge’s binder at the polling location on election day, voters will need to allow extra time for poll workers to call the clerk’s office to verify your address.
Do not go to your previous polling location unless the new residence is within the same precinct.
If you moved from another county in Missouri, or from another state, you must have registered to vote by March 12.
Can I vote absentee? You may vote an absentee ballot by contacting the County Clerk’s Office within the Cass County Courthouse, 102 E. Wall St., Harrisonville. For the April election, voting absentee is available until 5 p.m. Monday, April 7. The clerk’s office will also be open the Saturday prior to the Election Day, 9 a.m.-noon April 5.
The following is a list of reasons for requesting an absentee ballot:
• Absent from the jurisdiction on election day.
• Incapacity or confinement due to illness or physical disability, including a person responsible for the care of person confined.
• Religious belief or practice.
• Employment as an election worker.
• Incarceration, provided all qualifications for voting are retained.
Where do I go for more information? Contact the Cass County Clerk’s Office at 816-380-8102, or visit their office on the first floor of the Cass County Courthouse, 102 E. Wall St., Harrisonville. The office is open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, including over the lunch hour.