By Mischaele Bearce
• East Lynne Fire Department had a structural fire for the week.
• John and I went to the movies this week to watch the movie Tammy and to our surprise Michelle Li (Sherwood) from East Lynne was the anchor lady reporting in the movie. I contacted Michelle and she was more than happy to give me some information for this article. The movie Tammy was shot last year in North Carolina, where Michelle was working as an evening anchor. She was asked by a casting director to audition for the role and she got a callback. So, then she had an audition in front of Ben Falcone, who plays Tammys mean boss in the movie. Ben also is Melissa McCarthys real-life husband. Just before the movie premiered, Michelle was invited to Los Angeles to be a part of the junket. Thats when some media members go cover the movie and interview the actors. It was so awesome for Michelle because she got to interview Melissa, Ben, Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates, Mark Duplass and Gary Cole. Melissa and Ben gave Michelle a pair of crocs, just like what Tammy wore in the movie. Michelle said it wasnt a big part, but it was a pretty cool life-experience.
• Happy birthday to Jenny Graham, Angie Gonzalez, Mary Burton, Cheryl Nickel, Kayden Taylor, Danielle Dodson, Ryan Rushly, Derric Hammond, Rueben Hartzler, Lily Blaine, Marge Sparks, Zachary Young, Breanna Weaver, Vickie Hartsell, Jack Tribble and Michaela Maguffe.
• Happy anniversary to Chris and Christina Langsdale.
By David Ullery
• The Freeman Baptist Church completed its Vacation Bible School on July 18. They had 52 students enrolled, with an average attendance of 49. There were 41 workers each day. Childrens Evangelism Fellowship missionary Hannah Cashman presented the mission story each day and the daily offerings went to the CEF. On July 17, Youth Pastor Will Bova was the evangelism speaker, arriving in disguise, and in a black limo with a police escort. The theme for 2015 will be Journey off the Map.
• Our community extends its sincere sympathy to the family of William Junior Gilbert, who passed away July 12 and was buried in Freeman Cemetery.
• We also extend our sympathy to the family of Vida Veach, who passed away July 18.
• Bill Duensing, DDS, 88, of Kansas City North, passed away July 18. Bill grew up in Freeman and was a member of Freeman High School class of 1943.
• Members of the Dolan-West Dolan Fire Department participated in the annual Doug Porter Memorial Firefighter Competition at the Cass County Fair in Pleasant Hill. They were tied for second place but ended up in third place after a run off competition. DWD won the Extend-a-Line and SCBA contests.
• The Tri-City Church Alliance met at West Line Christian Church on July 20. This alliance is made up of Cleveland Baptist Church, Cleveland Christian Church, Freeman Baptist Church, Freeman Presbyterian Church, South Fork Baptist Church and West Line Christian Church. This group was formed last spring and has taken on several projects. Some of the projects involve making efforts to combine the food pantry projects of the churches involved. If you would like to contribute to the Food Pantry project or are in need of assistance, please contact any of the member churches. They also have taken a combined interest in the youth ministry in the Midway community by co-sponsoring A2J, Journey and Sons of Thunder. At present, volunteers are in the process of organizing an AWANA group in the area. In conjunction with the AWANA project, there will be a picnic 5:30-8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9, at Jacob Carver Memorial Park in Freeman for the purpose of acquainting people with the project and raising funds to support the group. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
• Sound of Music opens tonight, July 25, at Starlight Theater in Kansas City. Did you know that the man who arranged the original musical score to the Broadway production grew up in Freeman? The late Robert Russell Bennett was a renowned musical arranger and director. He is one of an elite few who won an Emmy, Oscar and Tony award, the triple crown in the entertainment industry.
By Gail Lyon
• West Line Christian Church had a special talk from the kids that went to Church camp last week, Jodi Rhoads, Johnny Humbird and Lexi Gunnels. The camp was down by Eldorado Springs. They said they all had a very good time. The update on the new additions is the flooring. It is beautiful and almost done. We are starting a childrens church.
• Brandi Barrett had a birthday party for her niece, Logan Barrett, at the community building. The kids did some crafts. Everyone ate ham and cheese sandwiches, pasta, chips and sweet tea.
• Tim, my son, brought my grandkids over to go to Logans party. Then they went down to swim in Logans pool after her party.
• Happy Birthday: Barry Lyon 28th, Paul Starks 30th