With temperatures reaching into the mid-90s early Wednesday evening, firefighters struggled for their own safety as they fought a house fire at 207 W. Mechanic Street in Harrisonville.
A Harrisonville police officer passing by the residence around 4:30 p.m. noticed a large amount of smoke coming from the roof of the home.
Emergency Services Chief Larry Francis said he arrived on the scene approximately 30 seconds from the the initial notification from the police officer.
“I walked around the house to find fire in the rear of the residence and heavy smoke coming from this area and the roof line,” Francis said.
Harrisonville firefighters responded to the scene and were able to make entry into the residence and locate the fire.
Crews were able to slow the progress of fire while mutual aid from Central Cass and the Pleasant Hill was called for immediate assistance.
Francis said as the mutual aid companies arrived, crews were assigned to look for additional extension.
During this process, a Pleasant Hill firefighter became unresponsive and was removed from the interior of the structure.
The firefighter was treated on the scene and then transported to Cass Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Harrisonville crews then requested additional mutual aid from South Metro and West Peculiar Fire Districts, and the Belton Fire Department.
When firefighters went back into the residence to complete the overhaul, a firefighter from Harrisonville became overheated.
The firefighter was also treated on scene and then transported to CRMC.
Francis said no one was home at the time of the fire. The estimated damage to the residence exceeds $50,000.
Investigators from Harrisonville Emergency Services and the Harrisonville Police Department believe the fire was started with an issue with the electrical wiring.